Monday, July 16, 2012

Casey's Law of Hipsterism

Much research and testing went into creating a definition of hipsterism for future scientific debate.

Definitions:
Let j = "tightness of jeans"
Let c = "time since last haircut"
Let u = number of times the subject has dismissively uttered "I liked it before it was cool"
Let i = "irony of eyewear or t-shirts"
Let R'(t) be the frequency of obscure cultural references over time t
Hipsterism (H) as a function of age (t) is defined as the following:



As you can see, the significance of the utterance “I liked it before it was cool” becomes diminished as the subject ages, and irrelevant after 35, as it is more likely to be a factually accurate statement at that time. The choice of clothing has no relationship to age and is consistent regardless of the subject’s age, but the obscure cultural references compound over time.

I present these findings for peer review, and for the edification of my peers and future students of the science of human behavior.

Read more responses to the question "what is a hipster?" at The Inclusive.

2 comments:

  1. Casey--

    I make lots of obscure cultural references, but I'm a medievalist. Hipster?

    --Andy (Morris)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're safe from the hipster accusation, considering your occupation. But I would be mindful of the amount of plaid you wear... Just in case, you know.

      Delete